MCA Approved Efficient Deck Hand
Monday 15th April - Friday 19th April
This course is based on COSWP the code of safe working practices for merchant seamen and is designed to meet the latest standards of the MCA for the issue of an Efficient Deck Hand certificate.
What will I study?
The course includes theoretical and practical training in all elements of seamanship including:
- Safe induction to the shipboard environment,
- Emergency procedures, musters and drills,
- Rope and wire handling, splicing, knots bends and hitches,
- Anchors and mooring equipment and techniques,
- Enclosed spaces,
- Opening and closing cargo hatches and watertight doors,
- Cargo gear and rigging,
- Gangway and pilot ladders,
- Working aloft,
- Watch keeping and other duties.
- Practical Seamanship
Course duration is five days.
Assessment is continuous during the course, with a final assessment on the last day.
To qualify for the issue of an AB certificate, a seafarer must meet the following criteria:
- Be at least 18 years of age,
- Hold a Watch Rating Certificate,
- Hold an EDH certificate,
- Hold an MCA approved Certificate of Proficiency in Survival Craft and Rescue Boat other than fast rescue boats certificate (CPSC&RB),
- Hold an ENG 1 or MCA accepted equivalent,
- Gain 12 months sea service in the deck department whilst holding an NWR certificate Regulation II/4 or whilst holding an EDH certificate,
- If you are working as a General Purpose (GP) Rating you must complete 18 months seagoing service, of which 6 months must be on deck duties,
- Sea-service performed in a deck capacity on sea-going fishing vessels of more than 16.5m in registered length, Royal Naval ships or Mobile Offshore Units (MOU) will be counted in full but at least 6 months sea-service on merchant ships will be required for certification as an AB seaman. Seafarers with MOU sea service unable to complete the required 6 months on merchant ships will be issued with an AB certificate suitably endorsed with a limitation for use on MOUs. This limitation will be removed at a Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA) Marine Office on completion of 6 months sea service on merchant ships.
Having just finished my EDH with Richard and Andy at the Seamanship centre was a very relaxed experience but also very informative the way Richard gets your attention is an art that few people process. I have left a much safer and wiser seafarer . Will be looking forward to doing my next course here in the near future. Would recommend the seamanship centre to anyone looking to further their career at sea.
An excellent course, delivered in a thoroughly professional manner by an evidently hugely experienced Instructor.
Great training centre! shows huge support.
Superb course with excellent instructors who communicate clearly and encourage discussion within the group on all subjects covered.
The pessimist complains about the wind
The optimist expects the wind to change
The realist adjust the sail to suit – Richard & Andy are realist and that is why they are so good at what they do –
Cheers Rich & Andy
Brillant course with Andy an Richard 1st class instructers with lots of experience. very relaxed and enjoyable course thanks guys