STCW Proficiency in Medical First Aid. (3 Day)
31st January 2024 @ 9:00 am - 2nd February 2024 @ 4:00 pm
This 3 Day course is a requirement for seafarers wishing to progress at sea as a rating or become an Officer of the Watch (OOW).
The course is very comprehensive and includes:
- Construction and functions of the various parts of the human body,
- Medical stores and equipment carried on ships,
- General principles relating to pharmacology,
- The principles for dealing with accidents or other medical emergencies,
- The application of immediate first aid in the event of accident or illness.
If successful, candidates will be awarded a certificate which meets the performance criteria laid down for Medical First Aid Aboard Ship in accordance with Regulation V1/4 of the annex of the STCW convention and section A -V1/4 (1-3) of the STCW Code and the Merchant Shipping (Training and Certification) Regulations 1997. These standards are approved by the Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA).
The assessment consists of continuous assessment during the course and an oral/practical examination on day three.
Course duration is three days.