- This event has passed.
STCW Personal Survival Techniques
Tuesday 17th September
This course is physically demanding. Candidates must be physically fit and meet the standard entry requirements for entry into the Merchant Navy.
The course follows a standard programme. The course delivers a basic knowledge and practice of survival techniques and principles that can be applied to maximise the probability of survival following a marine casualty.
The course will address the following:
- Actions prior to abandonment of the vessel
- Basic principles of survival
- Types of survival equipment provided on board ships
- Training and drills
- Correct use of the lifejacket and entering the water from a height
- Launching of a liferaft.
- Righting of a capsized liferaft
- Wet and dry boarding of a liferaft
- Bringing aboard an injured casualty
- Hypothermia and other medical factors
- Liferaft first aid
- Liferaft equipment
- Actions to aid location by rescuers
Training is delivered through a combination of theory and practical sessions.
Course duration is one day.
This course is normally run on a Tuesday and is day 2 of a 4 day STCW Basic Safety Courses programme
- Monday: STCW Elementary First Aid.
- Tuesday: STCW Personal Survival Techniques.
- Wednesday: STCW Personal Safety & Social Responsibilities.
- Thursday: STCW Ship Security Awareness.
The above courses are mandatory for all seafarers in all roles aboard and must renewed every 5 years.