STCW Personal Survival Techniques
Tuesday 23rd February
One event on 23rd February 2021 at 9:00 am
One event on 20th April 2021 at 9:00 am
One event on 22nd June 2021 at 9:00 am
One event on 17th August 2021 at 9:00 am
One event on 23rd November 2021 at 9:00 am
One event on 22nd February 2022 at 12:00 am
One event on 19th April 2022 at 12:00 am
One event on 21st June 2022 at 12:00 am
One event on 23rd August 2022 at 12:00 am
One event on 22nd November 2022 at 12:00 am
One event on 16th December 2020 at 12:00 am
This course is physically demanding. Candidates must be physically fit and meet the standard entry requirements for entry into the Merchant Navy.
The course follows a standard programme. The course delivers a basic knowledge and practice of survival techniques and principles that can be applied to maximise the probability of survival following a marine casualty.
The course will address the following:
- Actions prior to abandonment of the vessel
- Basic principles of survival
- Types of survival equipment provided on board ships
- Training and drills
- Correct use of the lifejacket and entering the water from a height
- Launching of a liferaft.
- Righting of a capsized liferaft
- Wet and dry boarding of a liferaft
- Bringing aboard an injured casualty
- Hypothermia and other medical factors
- Liferaft first aid
- Liferaft equipment
- Actions to aid location by rescuers
Training is delivered through a combination of theory and practical sessions.
Course duration is one day.
This course is normally run on a Tuesday and is day 2 of a 4 day STCW Basic Safety Courses programme
- Monday: STCW Elementary First Aid.
- Tuesday: STCW Personal Survival Techniques.
- Wednesday: STCW Personal Safety & Social Responsibilities.
- Thursday: STCW Ship Security Awareness.
The above courses are mandatory for all seafarers in all roles aboard and must renewed every 5 years.